Old June 19th 09, 04:09 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Jacek

Default Diagnostic tools for Audi A4, 2002

On Jun 15, 7:34*am, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
wrote:
> I second that tool!
>
> It might be a position switch on the transmission, but what does the dash
> indicator tell you? *Does it always read 'R'?
> Might be a relay too!
> Not sure what the tip trans has.
> Have a repair manual?
>
> "TonyJ" <"tonyjnospam at nospam visi.com"> wrote in ...
>
> http://www.ross-tech.com/
>

> > Jacek wrote:
> >> Hello,

> >> I am trying to solve a very difficult problem which most likely
> >> involves a foulty electronic module. *The back-up lights are
> >> constantly on and passenger side mirror is tilted down as if the car
> >> was in reverse, regardless of the gear shift position. *The car has a
> >> tiptronic transmision, by the way. *My frastration is high, the car is
> >> disassembled to a large extend. *Most of the electronic equipment and
> >> harnesses are exposed. *I'm running out of options and I would like to
> >> obtain a diagnostic tool which would let me quiry the electronic
> >> modules, which are interconnected by CAM bus.

> >> Can anyone help?

> >> Thx,
> >> Jack- Hide quoted text -

Thnk you for the advise guys. The problem is far more involved that
this. A simple back-up light switch applies only to manual
transmissions. This one has a "transmission range switch" which does
a lot more. The switch is good. The signal coming out of the
transmission is good. I believe there is a problem with the
communicaiton between various modules. Something, somwhere is telling
the "electrical power control module" to turn the back-up lights and
tilt the passenger mirror. Something other than the normal signal
coming from the transmission itself. Short of having various modules
available and trying to troubleshoot them one by one, I'm stuck. I'm
afraid a dealer will spend way too much time on it. I don't know how
well and how quickly they can diagnose the problem.