Old June 6th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default 1994 VW Jetta III 2.0 auto cranks and won't start

On Jun 4, 9:31 pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote:
> REPLIES WITHIN
>
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > two weeks ago, on my way from from work, my jetta was losing coolant
> > due to broken hose, got overheated and stalled right after i had
> > parked it. now it will crank but won't start.

> Where was this broken hose?
> How could you tell there was no sign of a blown head gasket?
>
> > i first checked oil and coolant and there's no sign of blew head
> > gasket, checked all the fuses and replaced distributor cap & rotor and
> > spark plugs. the spark plugs wires have good continuity. i also
> > checked the timing belt and it's is in good condition and has correct
> > timing.

> > still no go

> Possibly:
> Ign switch
> Ign coil
> Engine Speed Sensor
> Faulty main engine wiring harness plug or connections wet.
>

> > all the relays are clicking when ignition key is switched to on. the
> > ignition coil has primary resistance of 0.6 Ohm and secondary
> > resistance of 3400 Ohm and 12V output with the ignition key on.
> > according to haynes manual, they are within specs.

> Bentley manual would be more informative. ;-)
> Try to start engine using a remote starter and leave the ign switched on.
> MAKE SURE IT IS IN PARK OR NEUTRAL!!!
>

> > a strong smell of gas is present in the cabin when engine is cranking,
> > but spark plugs are dried and there's no sparks at the distributor.

> Hmmm you smell gas but the plugs are not wet? That smell has to come from
> somewhere. Maybe you have a fuel leak......but you should still get a
> spark. This sounds like another problem that should be addressed.
>
> > and i noticed that the shift indicator in the dash board won't change
> > accordingly to the gear shift. and the string that looks like "1n 02"
> > is flashing in place of the odometer when the key turned to ON.

> Dash Gear Shift Indicator is not functioning??? I would examine any
> electrical plugs on the auto trans and engine that might have had a shower
> of coolant!
>
> "1n 02" is Normal....after so many miles those service indicators will come
> on and need to be reset after servicing. ;-)
>
> --
> later,
> dave
> (One out of many daves)

hi dave,

thanks so much for the reply

the hose connecting the reservoir and the engine block was broken, a
small breech near the connector, but the engine did have a good shower
of coolant.. last time it stalled, it was when i tried to wash the
running engine at the car wash, took about half an hour to start and
run again, this time seems no hope

i fixed the hose, intentionally dumped more coolant and was happy to
see no traces of oil, so i guess the head gasket is ok.. i filled the
coolant up and wiped off the excess, and waited a few days for the
engine to dry then came back and changed the plugs, dist. cap and
rotor..

yeah i did remote started the car, i used a 8 gauge copper wire to
jumper the starter's solenoid to battery ( + ) terminal, ignition key
in ON position, gear in NEUTRAL, same thing, cranks but won't run, at
least i can conclude that the ign switch is OK

i then touched the fuel injectors while cranking the engine and they
are not responsive.. actually i have no idea how the injectors would
"wiggle" when they are working, at the intake manifold inlet i smelled
only a faint odor of gasoline

i cleaned all electrical connectors with CRC cleaner and so far
evrything seems fine but no sparks, no injectors pulses

yeah haynes manual sucks.. i googled for information and narrowed the
problems down to the coolant temp sensor, the camshaft sensor, the
engine speed sensor and the ECU

my car has a distributor so i guess the engine speed sensor is only
for RPM and the ECU wouldn't cut off ignition when it's gone bad, a
bad camshaft sensor maybe the cause, but then i thought the coolant
sensor got the most damages during engine overheating and i cringed
when i thought that maybe the ECU is dead too..

my question is would a faulty coolant sensor cause the ECU to abandon
ignition and injection? a safety measure perhaps?
oh and i dont see the check engine light coming on when the ign key is
ON and prior to cranking... and the OEM alarm wouldnt go off when i
reconnect the ( - ) terminal... my ECU is dead?