Old April 16th 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

Default LOUD NOISE

In article >,
Carbon > wrote:

> That's interesting. I was thinking of getting aftermarket pads (like
> Porterfield R4Ss below) when the time comes and I just naturally assumed
> they would be better than the OEM stuff.

Aftermarket pads can solve specific braking problems. If you don't have
a problem, why search for a solution? No other pad has the combination
of low rotor wear, low noise, low dusting, long life, moderate pedal
pressure, and good fade resistance as OEM. All the rest present
compromises that you may or may not be willing to accept to solve a
specific problem.

The usual issue is fade resistance for track use--OEM pads are not quite
up to extreme heat, and noise, heavy dust, frequent rotor replacement,
etc., are not typically deal breakers on a track car.

On the street, if you can lock all four wheels on demand, seems to me
you have plenty of braking power.

> I may still get braided brake lines.

If the problem is a soft pedal, first try flushing and refilling with
new fluid. Next, add a master cylinder brace. Braided lines are mainly
for looks, and don't really work any better. They also require regular
inspection, as they tend to unscrew themselves.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO