Old April 15th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Genny

Default LOUD NOISE

On Apr 15, 6:03*am, r0lliSl1fe > wrote:
> Actually the low cost belts tend to be just fine...and as far as
> adjustment, well...if the belts are replaced, part of what you have to
> know going in is that they will need to be tightened again in 5000
> miles. *They are made of rubber, steel, and fabric, all of which
> stretch and break in.
>
> The process of belts is easy enough you should do it yourself.
> Miata.net has a great write-up in the garage on how to do it. *Be
> careful about AC and PS differences, though.
>
> Now...OP...you provided us with 2/3 the info we need...you told us
> WHEN the noise happens and what the mechanics say...but you never
> described the noise itself. *It it squealing, screaming, bumping,
> grinding, thumping, thrashing, sparking, tapping, glomping....?
>
> My guess, since you replaced the belts last year...is that you never
> had them re-tightened after 5K miles.. *Or maybe you did? *Let us know
> to help!
>
> r0ll
>
> On Apr 15, 2:14 am, "Chuck" > wrote:
>

> > The last time I replaced the belts on my 99, I had a similar experience with
> > belt squealing. Turned out that the belts stretched, and after about three
> > cycles of adjustment, quit the squealing. (Squeal on startup, quits until
> > car sets for several hours or overnight.) Some brands of belts are worse
> > than others. *Most mechanics either use low cost replacements, or whatever
> > their favorite parts house carries. The belts that stretched the most on my
> > 99 were Goodyear "gatorback" belts. *Some mechanics are either too lazy or
> > too ignorant to adjust the belts properly.

> > "Genny" > wrote in message

> > > Hi all:

> > > My 94 Miata has been making a loud noise for months. It happens when I
> > > start up the car in the morning (or after it has been parked for a
> > > while and I start it up.) The noise is more than likely the drive belt
> > > (sometimes it will stop if I turn off the AC - sometimes it happens
> > > when I make a turn)

> > > The noise is becoming more regular and I know I need to do something
> > > about it. (I replaced the belts last year.) My car has been to two
> > > horrendous mechanics this year (for unrelated repairs) I told both
> > > about the noise. The 1st told me that the pulley was broken and needed
> > > to be replaced. The other said that the belt was put on too tightly
> > > and had stretched and needed to be replaced.

> > > Neither mechanic fixed it (they fixed other things) But I don't trust
> > > either one.

> > > How much should I expect to pay for this repair if it is:
> > > 1) need a new belt
> > > 2) need a new pulley
> > > or 3) need both.

> > > Is this an expensive repair?

> > > For years my car has needed nothing *- now in the past 12 months
> > > everything seems to be breaking. and I have been getting reallybad
> > > service too.

> > > Please help!

> > > Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

The noise is a screeching high pitched noise... I'd even call it
screaming - it's horrific and embarrassing.

I don't put a lot of miles on the car (less than 3000 per year)

The belts are Goodyear - they look brand new still... and they aren't
loose.

I'm going to try belt dressing to see if that quiets the squeel... if
it does should I have them tightened?