Old January 7th 08, 06:39 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
Stude

Default Identify antique car

On Jan 6, 5:56*pm, Otto Skorzeny > wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After much searching, I'm pretty certain that the car in your photo is
> a Model 10 Buick circa 1908 - 1910. The squared - off fenders and
> straight angle of the front fender is the same, as is the distinctive
> upturn at the end of the rear fender. Lights, windshield, steering
> position, shape of radiator and large knobby-looking radiator cap all
> match Buicks of that era. Below is a link to a photo of a model 10
> almost identical to the one in your photo. Also notice the seat
> mounting and trim around the base of the back seat. It matches the
> photo of the "known" Buick
>
> http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z...10%20Touring/d...
>
> I hope this helps. Is this a family photo? Just curious.
>
> Forrest

I often get quesions like this at the auto musuem.
My favorite is, "Here's a picture of my wife's uncle in his car, We
think that it is an American car, but here it's in Vienna, where he
had it rebodied to use as a tour bus. What is it?" I kid you not.
That was thequestion almost word-for-word and the photocopiedn was
poor.

What's worse is when we get it from a lawyer in a multi-addressee
email - also a poor shot.

To identify a car, make note of the following to save time:
Number of aspokes in the wheels - rear and front may differ
Attancment of spokes to hub and rim.
ststem of supporting roof
headlights (which were often from accessory houses, as were bumpers in
the early years, shape of doors, expecially corners and hardware, body
turn-under beneath doors, upholstry, steering wheel and
attachments.....

These will help as you look through the tons of books and magazines we
will put at the table for you to use.
AQ is the most reliable publication. Pre-production photos and
drawings can be misleading.

Leave your lunch in your car - it's not allowed in most libraries
(except for staff <g>)