Old January 1st 08, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda
Jeff[_3_]

Default Price fixing among tire manufacturers

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 15:52:47 -0600, "Ray O"
> <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote:

>>> Ahh - got it. When you say mileage, you mean when they state that "this
>>> is a 75,000 mile tire". Thanks.

>> The treadwear ratings, while technically more accurate, is a concept that
>> some consumers have difficulty understanding so a lot of tire makers
>> advertise that their tires will last 75,000 or whatever miles they think
>> their tires will last because mileage is easy for the consumer to
>> understand.

> If every maker picks the same base mileage for that "100" tire to
> achieve - say 20,000 miles - then advertising a UTQG 375 tire as
> "75,000 Miles" would make more sense to the consumer. But if they
> inflate the claim it makes the advertising irrelevant.

But, a tire will wear differently on different vehicles, depending on
such factors on where it is driven (city vs. highway [vs. racetrack]),
the type of roadway (dirt vs. pavement vs. concrete vs. snow vs. ice),
temperature, tire pressure, weight of the vehicle, the speed at which it
is driven and how it is driven (fast acceleration vs. slow acceleration)
and maintained.

Jeff