Old September 7th 07, 03:50 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.

Default OEM Tires, Optional OEM tires, and totally off-the-wall tires

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/ wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 08:32:34 -0500, * wrote:
>
>>> I make sure they fit the rims correctly.

>> With today's tire and rim technology, how can a 14" tire fit a 14" rim
>> incorrectly?

> And you're telling me you're an 'expert?!?!?!
>

> Toyo Proxes T1r
> 195/45R14
> 15Lbs.
> 280 Treadwear
> MP
> V Rated
> Tread Depth 10
> Rim Width (Min/Max) 6 - 7.5
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>

> Toyo Proxes Tpt
> 185/60R14
> 16Lbs.
> Rim Width (Min/Max) 5 - 6.5
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>

> If you tried to put the first tire on the rim meant for the second tire,
> the sidewall would blowout. A real recipe for disaster.
>
> If you don't know this, then NO WAY are you telling me what to do with my
> tires!!!
>
> So, on my Corolla with OEM rims of 5.5", I had to take a set of wheels off
> my Celica (6.5") to run the hi-poi 195/45-14s or run the risk of the
> sidewall flexing too much and blowing the tire off the rim...

Nope. They would both fit on the 6.5" rims you have. And the only real
problem with running them on the 5.5 would be tread wear due to the
narrow rim..
However I wouldn't want to run the 185/60 on the wider rim. No sidewall
protection and you would probably have problems with the bead staying
seated as well.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York