Old November 21st 05, 12:40 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Is this statement true?

"N8N" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Julie P. wrote:
>> "N8N" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>
>> > oh geez. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER USE FRAM. FRAM = UNMITIGATED ****.
>> > You could seriously wad up your feces, put it in an orange can, and
>> > install it on your engine, and it would be as good as a Fram filter.
>> >

>> Maybe NAPA Gold or one from the dealer then? Advance Auto Part sales has
>> some type of "gold" line of their own filters.
>>

> NAPA Gold is a rebranded Wix filter, which is an excellent filter.

Ok, Wix is what the employee at Advance Auto recommended, although they
didn't sell them there.

>> It's unfortunate I already bought about 10-15 of the Fram (and Purolator)
>> ones a few years ago for my car, while on sale. Oh well.

> Purolator is pretty good. I prefer Wix, but there's a Purolator on the
> Porsche right now. I just refuse to use Fram under any circumstances -
> too many horror stories of the cans blowing apart when cold, on too
> many different types of engines. Plus their internal construction just
> looks cheezy.

But Purolator is just as inexpensive as Fram, and the filter material looks
thinner, at least for their air filters. I suppose the brand of air filter
isn't as critical as the oil filter though.

> Yup, spent today doing the same. Next weekend: install heater in
> Studebaker. That seems like a fairly important winter accessory

Very nice cars.

>> > (whose car hasn't left him stranded, but is vibrating like mad, and I
>> > can't figure it out.)

>> Hmmmm. Don't know. Exhaust maybe?
>>

> Nope, I suspect either a transaxle getting ready to self destruct,
> and/or collateral damage from the hit it took to the driver's side
> quarter panel. The driver's side outer CV bolts were all loose and the
> boot on that joint was all cracked, which is odd as it's less than a
> year old, and I replaced both axles at the same time and the other
> three CV's were all tight. The fact that it was the same corner of the
> car that took a hit makes me think that there is a problem there that
> may or may not be related to getting hit, but I can't prove it, nor can
> I find what the problem actually is - I replaced that axle again today
> (the company I bought it from - Raxles, inc, highly recommended - sent
> me a warranty replacement as the boot was near split through) but the
> problem still remains; although I'm considering the loose bolts a clue
> that the vibration is originating in the area of that hub.
>
> But, as I said, I'm scratching my head. I think it will probably go
> back in the shop this week; I don't feel like messing it, and if it's
> related to getting hit my insurance company ought to pay. (fortunately
> I did not cancel my comp and collision; unfortunately whoever plowed
> into it didn't bother to leave a note...)

That happened to me twice. One they left a note and their insurance paid me,
without even an inspection. the other two times it was a hit and run, once
while the cars were in motion. The other driver sped off.

Julie