Old November 20th 05, 09:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Is this statement true?

A professional mechanic once posted in another forum that if your car is
well maintained by a competent mechanic who maintains his education, it
should NEVER break down without warning, leaving you stranded.

Is this statement true?

I think back to the last eight times I have completely broken down:

1) Brake line burst (cause: my failure to replace very rusty line for years)

2) Alternator died (I had warnings, but thought it was just the battery.
PepBoys mechanic failed to check alternator when I replaced battery a few
days earlier)

3) Belt tensioner gave way (due to my failure to realize this was a
minatainable component over the years)

4) Blower motor and radiator fan stopped working for unknown reason (still
trying to diagnose this).

5) Total loss of engine oil, due to mechanic claiming my Fram filter I
provided him for an oil change was faulty. I actually think he didn't put it
on right. I now do my own oil changes and have never had a problem with a
leak or Fram filter.

6) Starter died (I had thought it was my loose battery terminals all this
time)

7) Starter #2 died. I had warnings. Hammering on it got it to start.

8) Starter bolt cracked, thereby cracking and dislodging starter. Cheap
chain discount auto part/service store said it was my fault (VIP Discount
Auto in New England). Strange, both of their lifetime warranty piece of crap
starters broke off the bolts since they shook so violently when starting the
car. One time they had to pull the engine in order to have a machine shop
drill out the bolt! Cost them over $500, and they tried to make me pay. But
since going to an AC Delco starter, never a problem, and it always starts
quietly!

So, as you can see, all of the above breakdowns, with the exception of the
radiator fan and blower motor above (#4) have had have been due to my own
failures, at least in part. So that statement the mechanic made above does
make sense, for th emost part.

Julie