Old November 1st 18, 12:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Roger Blake[_2_]

Default Self driving cars and moral decisions-who will live, who willdie?

On 2018-10-31, nospam > wrote:
> very, very few people repair their own vehicles, and the types of
> repairs an older vehicle will need are often beyond their skill set,
> such as an engine rebuild, transmission overhaul, body work, etc. those
> repairs are also not cheap and will cost more than what the vehicle is
> worth, and in many cases, parts are not available, making repairs not
> possible.

That has not been my experience. None of the major drivetrain components
(engine, transmission, rear axle) have ever been apart on my car. No
body work has been required, though I don't sweat the small stuff.

> that doesn't mean others haven't. an older vehicle is more likely to
> have an unexpected breakdown than a newer one. very simple.

However, any such breakdowns are likely to be repairable with simple hand
tools and inexpensive parts. Very simple.

> there are, but newer vehicles more so.

Once again, a judgement call. For the many thousands of dollars I've
saved I am quite comfortable indeed.

> as opposed to many thousands of dollars on repairs for the older
> vehicle.

Hasn't happened. I have spent very little on repairs.

> but not for others.

That's their call. I'm not interested.

> newer vehicles have airbags, anti-lock brakes, traction control,
> attention alert, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control,
> collision avoidance radar and limited autonomy. when full autonomy
> becomes common, they'll be even safer.

I don't care about any of those features, and having worked in the
computer industry since the 1970s do not have the blind faith in
technology rampant amongst many people, particularly the young. I will
not be buying into any of it.

> you can, but there's no good reason to do so.

You keep saying that. You are wrong.

> at some point, the cost to repair and maintain it is more than the
> value of the vehicle, at which point replacement is a better choice.

I have not reached that point in 40 years. If it does occur I'll be satisfied
that I have gotten the full value of the vehicle and would look for another old
car to replace it.

The problem here is that I have the experience of driving a decades-old
vehicle and you do not, yet you persist in dicating to me what it is
like to do so.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Don't talk to cops! -- http://www.DontTalkToCops.com
Badges don't grant extra rights -- http://www.CopBlock.org