Old September 27th 11, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
john stachlewicz

Default Performance SUVs. What's The point?

On Sep 13, 8:34*pm, "
> wrote:
> Seems most manufactures have one of these now. *Here's the latest
> model.
>
> http://www.thetorquereport.com/2011/...suv_concept_pr...
>
> But I don't understand why. Why a jacked up, what is essentially a
> high-performance car? *(The hulk-like body in combination with the
> thin sidewall tires makes them look like a football player wearing
> stilettos.) *They have street/track tires and wheels (not to mention
> the high sticker price) so you're not going to be hitting the Rubicon
> trail. *And I don't see their owners swapping the factory tires/wheels
> with "mudders." *So then, why not just buy a good high-performance
> sedan? *It's not like SUVs are any more spacious than a sedan. *Or are
> these performance SUVs a way of saying we need more SRT Magnums/CTS-V
> wagons?
>
> Patrick

I picked up a 2011 Flex Limited with the EcoBoost to replace my wife's
GMC Acadia... Wife needed more than just a sedan... All I can say is
the Flex is an absolute hoot to drive!! Heck with just a tune (and
not the most aggressive tune out there) the darn thing does 0-60 MPH
in 5.0 and does the 1/4 mile in 13.7! You should see the people
reactions at the track when the Big BRICK goes down the track! All
5000 pounds! LOL! And 3 rows of seats to boot! LOL!