Old September 14th 11, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
D E Willson

Default Performance SUVs. What's The point?

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 13:34:00 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>Seems most manufactures have one of these now. Here's the latest
>model.
>
>http://www.thetorquereport.com/2011/...t_pr.html#more
>
>But I don't understand why. Why a jacked up, what is essentially a
>high-performance car? (The hulk-like body in combination with the
>thin sidewall tires makes them look like a football player wearing
>stilettos.) They have street/track tires and wheels (not to mention
>the high sticker price) so you're not going to be hitting the Rubicon
>trail. And I don't see their owners swapping the factory tires/wheels
>with "mudders." So then, why not just buy a good high-performance
>sedan? It's not like SUVs are any more spacious than a sedan. Or are
>these performance SUVs a way of saying we need more SRT Magnums/CTS-V
>wagons?
>
>Patrick

The answer is SALES and I WANT SOMETHING YOU DON'T HAVE (never mind
that you don't want one!

Why would someone choose a Mercury Cougar over a Ford Mustang?
Neener Neener Neener I paid more than you did! For that matter, why is
there a Mercury at all? Same with Pontiac and Chevy, Buick and Olds,
etc. With some exceptions like the Corvettem they are essentially the
same cars from each division. But, somebody in Marketing had a great
idea, and the buying public fell for it. Why are there umpteen
versions of the same car. Like Mustang. Why not a single version. A
5.0 tire smoking eardrum busting 4/5/6 speed manual? Because only
middle of the road liberals and conservatives would buy them. True
liberals would want a car that looks like that's what it is, yet is
saves the planet from doom. Right Wing conservatives want monster gas
burning hogs like the president rides around in. They are evil. They
don't give a damn aboutthe environment.

OK... that stuff about conservatives isn't what I believe. It's what
soem of my more liberal friends say. I'm mostly conservative, and
apparently I am evil incarnate... the devil's spawn because I think
liberals are going to destroy the planet by trying to fix things that
ain't near as broke as Al Bore wants us all to believe.