Old December 23rd 05, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default rims and tires

In article . net>,
"miker" > wrote:

> > The problem is that they weigh 18 pounds

> I understand the difference between sprung/unsprung weight for handling, but
> so far as acceleration and speed I think the difference between me and a
> 100-lb 20-something lead-footed babe is going to make more difference than
> that few pounds of wheels.

Some have estimated the effect of unsprung mass on acceleration at 10X
that of sprung mass. Do you weigh >380 pounds? :-)

[here's the math: 10 x 4(18-11) + 100]

My tires lose about one psi per week. It was the same with the stock
wheels, so I assume that's normal for alloys. My Honda's steel wheels
might lose one psi per year.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis