Old September 22nd 04, 05:27 AM
Caroline

"SoCalMike" > wrote
> Caroline wrote:
>
> > Economically speaking: Drive it until there's a major expense (or major

ongoing
> > expenses) that you just don't want to pay.
> >
> > Taste-wise: Drive it until you get sick of its looks.
> >
> > I'd say keep it at least one more year. If you don't have the money for a

new
> > car, consider taking this one to at least 200k miles.
> >
> > Caroline
> > Original owner, 1991 Civic LX, 157k miles, never had air conditioning, but
> > driven mostly up north, and I'm a tough bird when it comes to hot summer
> > temperatures, anyway. Gonna take it to at least 250k miles or five more

years,
> > but I do my almost all my own maintenance on the car. 42 mpg is usual in the
> > summer time. Can't beat that without going hybrid.

> you suck, caroline

<kissy-smooch> back at ya. :-)

> its amazing that in just 7 years, the mpg of civics dropped about 10
> mpg.

Those Honda design yahoos had increased the Civic engine size to 1.6 liters
(from 1.5 liters) by 1998.

Why'd they do that? Caving in to foul American car consumer taste?

Is Honda in this for the money or something?

> mu 98 gets about 32 average. i always liked the way that particular
> generation of civics looked, too... low beltline, wedgy, lots of glass.
>
> its completely the opposite now on almost all cars.. high doors, small
> windows. the chyrysler 300 comes to mind, as well as the corolla, and
> scions.

Yes. As I've said a few times in the past year or so, if something catastrophic
happened to my 1991 Civic tomorrow, I'd be looking at a new Toyota Echo (also a
1.5 liter engine). But jeez I am not wild about the Echo's boxy look and lack of
velour upholstery on the inside.