Old September 22nd 04, 01:58 AM
SoCalMike

Cris Fuhrman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a '98 Honda Accord with just 60K miles. Took it for an oil
> change and the garage told me I need to replace both front ball joints

what garage? midas? pep boys?

> (and have an alignment). I don't really know the mechanic well enough
> to trust him, so I'm unsure. I've decided not to have it done for now,
> and will have it checked elsewhere.

unless youre noticing uneven tire wear, or pulling to one side, or
wandering, theyre probably full of it. and how would you know they even
did the job, anyway?

> In the mean time, can someone with experience tell me if it is likely
> with a '98 Accord that the ball joints go bad before the brake pads?
> They are the *original* pads.

nah. some never need new ball joints. ive got 47k on the OEM pads and
rear shoes, and they look like i have at least 50% left.