Old October 27th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

Default Greedy *******s.....

In article >, Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
> I don't see why anyone gets upset over the dealers maximizing their
> profit.

Because it's a manipulated market. It's the same reason $3+ a gallon
gasoline gets people upset. It's a manipulated market where others can't
come in and undercut the competition.

Let's say instead of dealer alotments, ford had open ordering until they
ran out of the limiting part. What would happen? Everyone would rush to
the dealer selling for the lowest price and order a GT500. Which example
is really free market? I would say it's the later where dealerships
compete to make sales.

> You are absolutely right, the buyers set the price, not the
> dealers. If any one of us had a vintage GT500 we would sell it for the
> highest price we could get and not a penny lower.

New in production cars are not collector items. There are no more vintage
GT500s being made. There X surviors and that's it. There are Y people
that want them. Apples and oranges.