Old April 20th 07, 03:05 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
N8N

Default What to look for in a random-orbit buffer for waxing car paint

On Apr 20, 1:48 am, wrote:
> I am about to get a new car and would like to start the habit of
> waxing the paint regularly.
> Are the cheap random orbit buffers (such as ones at walmart) effective
> enough or do the more expense models offer something worth the extra
> money? Please recommend brands and models. I see buffers that are 6
> inches, 8 and 10 inches. Which is an ideal size for waxing a car.
> Thanks

Don't go cheap on a buffer. I know a guy who ruined a new paint job
on his pickup truck when he was buffing the hood with a well-known
brand name buffer whose name sounds very similar to "Crapsman" and the
head of the buffer flew off letting the spindle drop onto the fresh
paint. He was somewhat upset by this.

That said, on a *NEW* car I would probably hand wax only; if you
really want to use a buffer go real light on it and always clean well
before buffing. Machine buffing a new finish may introduce swirl
marks that weren't there before.

Follow the mfgr's recommendations for waxing; if they tell you to wait
a specified period of time before the first waxing, do it. Polish
only until that time. You want the paint to set up/harden completely
before sealing it with wax.

good luck,

nate