Old December 13th 11, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
davygrvy

Default preheater troubles

On Dec 12, 9:06*am, John J Stafford > wrote:
> In article >,
> *David Gravereaux > wrote:
>
> > > Agreed! *I'm thinking the redline K1411 kit with the Weber ICT carbs
> > > (but with manual choke)

> In my Weber duals there is a disabled enriching circuit for the choke. I
> have read where sometimes an activation cylinder moves causing it to
> constantly flood. Anywho, those chokes are in there. Maybe you can get
> just the activating parts.

The IDF enrichment circuit is a bit different than the ICH which uses
a real choke flap. Interesting story with IDFs... In my 2270cc T4
motor with dual 44-IDFs, I didn't have the enrichment mechanicals,
just the block-off plate. Just two days on the motor, I did a 7000
rpm downshift into second gear coming off a highway exit ramp. I
think that's what pulled the enrichment cylinder and wedged one in the
up (open) position. It drove me nutts for a week trying to solve why
the motor was running all unbalanced.

summary: blocking plates bad. Get the IDF choke mechanicals if only
to make sure the enrichment "cylinders" don't get pulled up and wedged
open on you.