Old February 4th 08, 03:50 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jan Verschueren

Default IRacing Pricing

"Backspace" wrote...
>> Tim Wheatley wrote:
>> <snip>

> Wow! What a sucker. And I suppose you're another one of those dorks that
> thinks GPL was realistic?

There was nothing wrong with GPL in itself. It's mods prove the basic engine
was less flawed then NR2003's, actually. Obviously, at the time (we're
talking a decade ago, remember), a lack of knowledge about the era coupled
with a lack of familiarity with physics engines of this level of
sophistication by the testers conspired to make the GPL'67 implementation
laughable by today's standards in terms of realism. However, it's still
pretty good. Eg.: if you run a very tall 1st gear in GP mode and have to get
the car moving again a couple times, you will break the clutch eventually,
so a lot of attention to detail went into it.

However much you may mock it, GPL was a quantum leap at the time and set the
benchmark for everything which followed.

Jan.
=---