Old October 10th 04, 05:00 PM
motsco_ _

Matt wrote:
> Having problems with a 97 Civic DX with Automatic Transmission. 60k
> Miles on the car. One owner.
>
> The symptoms
>
> Seems to drive fine when cold. Transmission shifts fine.
> After approximately 5 miles, transmission shifts a harshly. Seems to
> not know what gear it should be in (no codes at this time)
>
> Then after completely warm, transmission wont drive at all (like its
> in neutral)
> Can shut the car off at this point and it may or may not allow
> transmissin to engage. keying ignition on several time will allow the
> car to drive but will not shift properly. Code will appear only when
> transmission slips (P0700 and P0715)
>
> Have followed troubleshooting chart from Honda and Mainshaft speed
> sensor reads 550 ohms of resistance and wiring between pcm and sensor
> are good.
>
> Following troubleshooting instructions (from Honda)indicate I should
> try a known good PCM (ecu) and follow troubleshooting for P0720
> (Output speed sensor).
>
> I am not the type of person to purchase parts unless im sure they will
> work (like ECM).
>
> I do not believe faults generated by ECM will lead me to the solution
> since the fault was generated after harsh shifting and eratic acting
> transmission. see first paragraph when code was generated. What do you
> think?
>
> Transmission started to whine before slipping. Makes noise (growling
> from time to time). Hard shift from time to time. and makes noise
> from time to time.
>
> When I reboot, sometimes it will go into 2nd and go....and sometimes
> it will drive in 4th and go.
>
> I have read about replacing linear solenoid when obtaining codes p0700
> and p0715
> after flushing transmission. I actually am hesitant to do this since
> the fluid is $50 and LS is $150 and Parts manager at Honda says this
> does not always work and also, since my sypmtoms go beyond the harsh
> shifting (no drive situation)
>

> Just trying to get opinions before dumping $s into a worthless trani.
>
> Tried to buy a Honda manual from Honda, they did not have one and gave
> me number to publisher. so any help with resistance perameters of
> output speed sensor would help. Also pin numbers at connector 25 at
> ECU (and wire color)
>
> Not sure if i can have ECU checked someplace???
>
> Oh, one more clue ... Fluid seems a bit dark, but am unsure of flid
> color of honda trani flid. Original fluid in trani, never has been
> flushed or changed.

=======================

Matt,

Since your tranny fluid has SEVEN years of accumulated moisture, dirt,
and friction material, it makes sense that you should start with the
obvious / cheap fixes first.

Here's a snip from a previous post: You run it until it's hot, unscrew
the plug, drain 3.5 litres out. Wipe shavings off plug, reinstall plug,
top up with 3.5 litres of Honda Z1. One week / 100 miles later you do it
again. Use a painter's tray to catch it, and save it in a 4 litre jug
for recycling. You don't even need a special wrench, just a 3/8" socket
handle.

'Curly'