Old February 14th 05, 12:48 AM
y_p_w

J. wrote:

> y_p_w wrote:
>
>>Apparently TireRack does list two different
>>tires (same price) in most sizes, although you have to look at the
>>spec list first to figure which one is "AA" vs "A". If there are two
>>in the same size, it's usually AA second.
>>

> <http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Pirelli&model=PZero+Nero+M%26S>
>
> Thanks for pointing that out. Tirerack has revamped their spec page. IIRC,
> back in June there were only 2 or 3 'A' traction tires and I don't recall
> seeing ANY sizes dual listed with 'A' and 'AA'. They have since downgraded
> my 205/50-16 size to 'A', so I give them credit for that.

They don't make it easy to specify them though. I'd also take a wild
guess that which one ordered doesn't really matter, since they'll be
retrieved at the warehouse by make/model/size.

>>Apparently the Potenza RE92 tires are warranted for 40K miles. I still
>>had plenty of tread left after almost 11K miles. Regardless of all
>>that, they sucked as a "performance tire", and I was glad to be rid
>>of them.
>>

> I don't recall my Prelude having a mileage warranty pamphlet on the stock
> RE92's. They only had a treadwear of 160 and lasted well over 40Kmiles.
> With the Pirelli's 400 rating, can I expect over 100,000 miles? (yeah,
> sure - I've got land in FL for sale too!). As far as performance, they
> weren't as bad as the stock Michelin XGT-Vs (another high / ultra high perf
> all-season) on my earlier 'lude. But, comparing different cars and
> different sizes really isn't fair.

I hated the XGT-V4 on my '95 Integra. Pirelli P6000s were a definite
step up (stock 195/55-15 size). I even had a flat tire, but it didn't
sink. The stiff sidewalls kept the tire standing straight up with no
pressure. Then I went for Dunlop SP Sport 9000, which were nice
enough that I got replaced them. They were quiet and great in the
rain, although I suspect there better handling tires out there. All
tires I've tried lasted at least 30K miles.

Ratings suck. Ever feel suspicious that almost every tire size in a
model range has the same treadwear rating? The tires I've used had
treadwear ratings of 180/220/300, and they all lasted a while. The
RE92 is notorious for either wearing out quickly or lasting forever.

The Potenza RE92 has a 40,000 mile treadwear warranty only as a
replacement tire.

<http://www.mastercare-usa.com/tires/catalog/bridgestone-potenzare92.jsp>