Old December 22nd 04, 12:27 AM
Huw

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
> Well, the OP has a '97 Z3, and it could still want ATF. I don't know that
> it
> does or does not require ATF, but the OP says it does, and he asked if
> this
> was correct or an error. Clearly it is very likely that it is correct,
> many
> manual transmissions called for ATF to keep them lubricated.
>
> Perhaps it is good to change from ATF to MTF, and perhaps it is not. But
> if
> the question was if the manual was correct in calling out ATF.

And you know one way or another if the Bentley manual is correct?
I would only trust BMW or ZF information on original fill and
recommendations, but yes it is possible that they specified ATF at that
time. Any manual transmission that originally specified or specifies ATF
will benefit from upgrading to MTF. Take that as you will and feel free to
ignore but you will find this information accurate. If you are in any doubt
then stick with the manufacturers latest recommendations for that
transmission.

Huw