Old March 14th 08, 02:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Asgeir Nesoen

Default IRacing Pricing

Well, I disagree on a number of points, but I'll start with a field of
which I know a lot, namely recognizing minute changes in pitch.

I play several instruments, and I'd say I would be able to "hear", or
"regocnize" a change of a 20th of a seminote, or 10 times more sensitive
than you presume. If you're trained (piano tuners, organ tuners) or with
"perfect pitch" sense, you'll be able to recognize maybe a change of a
50th of a seminote.

You would, in a race care hear the "rate of change" in pitch more than
"aboslute pitch", and a normally musical ear will draw massive info from
a changing engine "tone". You would not translate pitch to speed, but
you'd translate rate of change to speed.

It is difficult to describe engine noise as frequency, since you hear
overtones of the base frequency. An engine with 12000 revs/min equals a
base frequency of 200hz, 20 hz lower than the "little a" of 220 hz. This
area is by far the most sensitive area of an ear, and we would have the
most resolution in this area. Our ears are most sensitive in the
"speech" frequencies.

If you make these assumptions, you'd come up with a hugely effective
instrument for speed reading. If you don't go faster with sound than
without, you need to practice your ear. One way to do this is to stick a
piece of carton over your in-car rev meter, so that the only input in
the speed dept would be the sound, and you would HAVE to use your ear.

With practice you will be able to judge your speed accurately to 1 or 2
km/h, and this would be a perfect tool for racing. You would not be able
to say "I'm now running down the straight at 301km/h", but you would be
able to say "I'm now running at 3kmh slower than my target speed at this
point". Again, not an absolute reading of speed, but a very good
relative reading of your speed.

And you're right: Grip is changing all the time, and this is where a
real car would give you heaps of info, but the sim gives you very
little. This is probably why it is hard to push very hard on a sim car,
because you only get sound from tires, and no G-pull, no vibration. In
real life you would also get much more info from the tyre screech than
in a sim, since the sound will accurately describe what happens with a tyre.

---A---