Old October 1st 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.autos.misc
Don Bruder

Default gear shift problem? transmission problem?

In article .com>,
wrote:

> I have a 2000 Mazda Protege, automatic. I've been having a problem with
> my gear shift; at least, I think that's what the problem is. Whenever
> it's fairly cool (less than 60 degrees) and dark outside, my car won't
> shift out of park. It's as if it doesn't realize that I have my foot on
> the brake. Sometimes if I stomp on the brake, that will work, but not
> always. Right now, the sun comes up over my apartment building and hits
> my car between 8 and 8:30 am (depending on my parking spot). Literally
> minutes later, my car will work fine. Any suggestions on what the
> problem might be? Thanks!

You've got a vampire car? No, on second thought, that would be more
likely to work when it was dark out thatn when daylight hit it...

But seriously...
I'd be betting on something getting cold and sticky overnight, and the
sun warming it up enough to free up and work properly. Wonder what the
local dealership would have to say on it?

--
Don Bruder -
- If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,