Old April 10th 13, 02:26 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default Headlights ruminations

On 04/09/2013 03:33 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 20:53:11 -0400, Nate Nagel >
> wrote:

>>> <snip>

>>> <To OP> IMO, they are a, "Look at me," thing. FWIW, I've seen
>>> attention whores with pink and green headlights lights too...

>>> And then the, "driver," of said vehicle turns on the high beams and
>>> leaves them on because it can't see where it is going...

>>> That always gets me when I see some nimrod with the fog lights on on
>>> a clear night with no rain/fog anywhere to be found. Makes me want to
>>> yell, "MORON," or something similar as I pass them.
>>>
>>> One of my cars has OEM fog lights on it. I think I have turned them
>>> on all of twice in the three years I have owned the car - and then
>>> they were of little to no use...
>>>

>> Sadly, a lot of OEM fog lights are pathetic imitations of actual, useful
>> fog lights. And yes, even good ones don't do squat other than make you
>> look like a dumbass unless it's actually foggy.
>>

> What I've seen that passes for fog lights on American cars are
> laughable. I put a set of the old time round sealed beam amber fog
> lights on my old Blazer years ago... Now those were fog lights, a VERY
> sharp cutoff with no light above the center, nice sharp line on the
> ground (when there was no fog). You could actually tell, when in fog,
> how real fog lights were supposed to work.

Yeah, sadly, the good stuff is not that expensive... I had some of the
little rectangular Hellas under the bumper of my Scirocco back in the
day, I think they cost me $50ish or so. Worked fantastic. So they
would have cost an OEM what, $20? If that? But some of the stuff that
ends up in production vehicles is pretty crap.

The stock fogs on my 944 weren't bad; the ones on what's her face's
Corrado were actually better than the (abysmal) headlights (actually,
don't yell at Corrado drivers for driving around with their fogs on;
they're probably using them because they haven't found a set of E-codes
yet and can't see where they're going.) Haven't yet had an opportunity
to use the ones in the Bimmer. But it does seem that the German ones
seem to be better than American ones overall...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel