Old April 9th 13, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default Headlights ruminations

On 04/08/2013 03:11 PM, necromancer wrote:
> On Sunday, April 7, 2013 10:06:29 PM UTC-4, Arif Khokar wrote:
>> On 4/7/2013 7:51 PM, Steve B wrote:

> <snip>
>
>>> I have never ridden in or driven a car that had the blue lights.
>>> Is there a

>>> noticeable difference or improvement in lighting, or is it just a
>>> "LOOK AT

>>> ME EVERYONE" thing?

> <To OP> IMO, they are a, "Look at me," thing. FWIW, I've seen
> attention whores with pink and green headlights lights too...
>
>> HIDs are generally better. The blue coated lights are worse since
>> they
>>
>> actually reduce visible light output.

> And then the, "driver," of said vehicle turns on the high beams and
> leaves them on because it can't see where it is going...
>
>>> And what's up with the dweebs who drive 24/7, even in daylight,
>>> with their

>>> foglights on? Some of them are as bright as high beam when all
>>> four lights

>>> are put on.

>> Because most drivers are too stupid to figure out that fog lights
>> are
>>
>> supposed to be used when driving at low speed in foggy conditions
>>
>> help better see the road in front of you. If fog lights are
>> shining
>>
>> into oncoming traffic, then they don't serve their stated purpose
>> at all
>>
>> (since using them in fog would result in backdazzle from the
>> lights
>>
>> reflecting off the fog itself).

> That always gets me when I see some nimrod with the fog lights on on
> a clear night with no rain/fog anywhere to be found. Makes me want to
> yell, "MORON," or something similar as I pass them.
>
> One of my cars has OEM fog lights on it. I think I have turned them
> on all of twice in the three years I have owned the car - and then
> they were of little to no use...

Sadly, a lot of OEM fog lights are pathetic imitations of actual, useful
fog lights. And yes, even good ones don't do squat other than make you
look like a dumbass unless it's actually foggy.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel