Old May 10th 15, 06:49 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Rufus

Default Loose Mirrors

Smarty wrote:
> I have owned Corvettes for decades, including the C5,C6, and C7, and
> have not seen this issue before in any car:
>
> The outside mirrors on both driver and passenger door will not hold
> their position when either a door is slammed shut or when a significant
> pothole or bump in the road is encountered.
>
> My dealer provided very little help. They first made the (ridiculous)
> assumption that the memory position logic was randomly switching the
> mirrors from Driver 1 to Driver 2, blaming it possibly on some bad
> electronics they would need to troubleshoot and diagnose.
>
> When I demonstrated that the mirrors shifted when the doors were
> slammed, they replied that this was "typical" and therefore not fixable.
> Had there been another C7 around I would have asked to see them show the
> same issue on another C7, but mine was the only one on the lot or in the
> shop.
>
> Mine is a very early production C7, one of the first to be sold, so
> perhaps this was an early bug, but I am wondering if anybody here has
> run into a problem of this type?
>
> On one of my prior Corvettes, the C5, I did have to remove and replace a
> mirror, which I did personally, and that mirror had a gimbal with curved
> arms which suspended the actual reflective mirror, and this gimbal had
> some sort of linkage to the motor used to position it remotely. I assume
> this one works the same way, but may have too little friction in the
> gimbal or linkage, but this is purely a guess on my part.
>
> Anybody have any opinions or suggestions? Thanks very much!

What happens when you try to reset them from memory? If they do return
to their memorized positions then I would suspect faulty electronics,
but if they don't I would suspect something wrong with the drive motors
and/or gears and I would argue that GM should replace both mirrors for you.

It's a bit odd that it happens to both mirrors and not just
one...something's sure fishy, IMO. It's like the drive motors are
dropping their holding torque. I know that neither my '08 C6 Z06 or '87
C4 exhibit anything like this.

--
- Rufus