Old August 2nd 07, 09:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Nza

Default 49 Chrysler with no compression

On Aug 2, 7:48 am, > wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 18:26:37 UTC, Nza > wrote:
> > On Jul 30, 8:41 am, Nza > wrote:

> > > ok! I'm pretty sure this one just has the 3-speed w/ fluid drive.

> > Actually, I was reading about the "tip-toe" transmission and how to
> > shift it.. I think this car may have that dual range thingee after all
> > instead of the 3 speed..

> > Drained the coolant today... i pulled out the thermostat and put it in
> > a pot of 180 degree water and it opened... did it a few times and it
> > opened more and more until a certain point.. was wondering though if
> > the thermostat is supposed to close all the way... i'm assuming it
> > is. When cooled off, this one is not all the way closed.

> The Chrysler, DeSoto and Dodge had the M6, PrestoMatic, TipToe shift,
> four speed, dual range Fluid Drive. The "second" gear position is
> Low/Low-High and the "third" gear position is High/Low-High/High.
> Almost all of the time you will use the High range. Shifting is
> accomplished by slightly lifting your foot off the accelerator at
> about 15 or so, hearing a clunk, then pressing on the gas again. You
> only need to use the clutch for reverse and starting, although you can
> start the car in gear. There is a fill port on the passenger side of
> the transmission whereby you remove the plug from the torque converter
> to check the fluid, which is really 10 weight oil. Draining and
> refilling requires turning the converter with the plug downward and
> letting the oil drain, then reversing the procedure. All in all, the
> transmission is very good. Make sure that the electrical connections
> to the carb are good and that the solenoid and governor on the
> transmission case are operating.
> As to the thermostat, it should be a 160 degree opening with a
> non-pressurized system. I have had no problems with my 49 Windsor or
> my 40 Royal.

As always, thanks for the information! I'm flying blind on this one,
pretty much.. except for you guys and a 1957 version of the Motor's
manual..

So basically there are only four positions for the gear selector...
reverse, neutral, high-range, low-range... If I understand
correctly, most of the time i'll just slap it into high range and
leave it there and use the high and low for around town-type stuff..

The thermostat has a "180" stamped into the end of the plunger. I
verified the temp. of the water when the thermostat opened with a
digital thermometer.... but like i said, it still doesn't close all
the way. So, i'll probably need a new one. Someone at some point put
a 4 psi rad. cap on it, so i guess i'll need to change that as well.

Okay, here's a question i've been wanting to ask for a while, but kept
forgetting.. My battery charger is either 12V or 6V... so what should
i use to charge the 8V battery? Was thinking I need to put some sort
of resistor in-line with it to drop the voltage and set the charger on
12V.. don't want to start a fire though, so suggestions will gladly
be accepted.

Thanks in advance!