Old September 17th 05, 09:48 AM
J-P Westaway-Green

Hi Dave,

If you're after a spacious, comfortable, executive car, then the 166 is the
one to go for - but avoid the automatic like the plague.

Mine is a 2.5 V6. I would have liked the 3L (running costs are practically
the same and you get the extra power), but trying to source a used one with
a manual transmission - that didn't have stupid miles on and also had a full
dealer service history, was like looking for a chocolate tea pot.

Brakes: I paid £55/Disc and £45/pad www.autoplanet.co.uk (although I'm sure
someone in this forum will tell me I've been ripped off).

I've just had all the belts and tensioners changed on my T plate (52,000),
along with the water pump (just because they were there at the time and it
made sense), the usual oil change and filter, total bill from an independent
was £664.00 (you'll pay over £1000 from a main dealer for that little lot).

Fuel costs: I average about 28MPG in mine - which, given its size and the
weight of the engine isn't to bad.

If the car you go for is 99-2001 - make sure its had the recall to replace
the oil cooler.

Make sure the car isn't fitted with Xeon head lights, as these are prone to
failure on the 166 and cost a fortune to replace.

If cost is a real concern than why not go for a 2L TS. Sure, you won't get
to here that wonderful V6 exhaust note, but with the lightness of the TS
engine it should be adequate for your needs - you won't be kickin' ar*e if
you've got a baby in the back will you?

Go get one and enjoy it - they're fantastic cars and highly underrated -
Alfa really should have done a proper marketing job with this motor. As a
result, there's hardly any on the roads, which makes them kinda cool IMHO.

Hope this helps

J-P

oups.com...