Old December 5th 04, 05:54 PM
Mike Z. Helm

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 08:39:32 -0700, Big Bill >

>>>Evidently you haven't read the OP's post.
>>>"My car's front bumper hit his rear bumper. On his rear bumper, there
>>>were two similar scratches/slight dents – one on left, and one on
>>>right, of the rear PLASTIC bumper.

>>Right - and the scratches/slight dents were "similar".

>I'm not sure where you're going with this.

Then read on.

>The OP admits he hit the car; there's damage. Not all the damage is
>his, the other driver says that. But unless you have some info that
>wasn't given here, the assumption is that the OP caused damage, since
>he himself isn't questioning that.
>>
>>If the one the OP caused couldn't have been fixed without replacing the
>>bumper then neither could the first one. Therefore, the bumper would
>>have needed to be replaced to fix problems that existed before the
>>accident.

>Possible; that's something for the insurance companies or court to
>decide. We can't decide here, that's for sure.

We can decide anything we want here. It's not legally binding and we
don't have all the facts, but that never stopped anyone on usenet
before.

>>You can't break what's already broke.

>You can break it worse.

Nope - broke is broke.

>An example: I had some minor damage on my right rear fender on my 91
>F-250. I put it there (*blush*; though I didnt hit a vehicle. This was
>a work truck).
>Then a lady made a ledt turn into the truck, and pretty much took out
>the whole left side. When asked, I told the claims adjuster about the
>damage to the fender; I had to show him where the difference was. I
>was thanked for being honest, and the fender was replaced by the
>lady's insurance with no questions or adjustments.
>I know; not a real good analogy;

A horrible one to be precise. The damage wasn't even close to being
"similar".

>the damage I did was very minor
>compared to what she did.
>>
>>>He said the right scratch/dent was
>>>his in a previous car accident. He said the left scratch/dent was
>>>caused by my car hit. My front bumper had no scratch/dent after the
>>>accident."

>>Right, which makes me wonder if his car really did cause the
>>scratch/dent.

>Like I said, we can't decide that.

Which is why it makes me "wonder"
--
There's no way to delay that trouble comin' everyday