Old January 11th 18, 02:07 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Clare Snyder

Default Drum brakes - do you disconnect the parking brake cable?

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 20:57:50 -0000 (UTC), Mad Roger
> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 20:10:18 -0000 (UTC),
> Mad Roger wrote:
>
>>> I guess I need to call RockAuto in the morning at 1-608-661-1376 (Wisconsin
>>> time zone) to figure out two critical things:

>> I called Rock Auto but they don't do any customer support over the phone.
>> I called three Toyota dealers, all of whom refused to provide the
>> information printed on the pad.
>>
>> One said "come down and look" but they're 50 miles round trip, so I'll try
>> at the computer first and let you know as the friction coefficient is the
>> most important job of friction materials.

>I found a clue to the J866a OEM friction coefficient on Amazon.
>https://s18.postimg.org/wqilqasdl/to...n_material.jpg
>
>I looked at the zoomable photos on Amazon, where out of about a score of
>choices for the specific vehicle entered, 3 of the photos had the J866a
>numbers visible which are legally mandated to be printed in every shoe.
>
>All were SAE J866a FF friction ratings.
>E = 0.25-0.35
>F = 0.35-0.45 <== Amazon shoes for this vehicle are FF it seems
>G = 0.45-0.55
>H = 0.55-0.65
>http://faculty.ccbcmd.edu/~smacadof/DOTPadCodes.htm
>
>1. $16.09 Centric 110.05890 Drum Brake Shoe
> https://www.amazon.com/Centric-110-0.../dp/B000C02PSS
>2. $21.99 Power Stop B589 Autospecialty Brake Shoe
> https://www.amazon.com/Power-Stop-B5.../dp/B003YO967W
>3. $29.14 Bosch BS589 Blue Disc Brake Shoe Set
> https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-BS589-B.../dp/B00MY5UMK2

Don't know about you, but those sure don't look like "disc brake
shoes" to me!!!!

>This doesn't prove the J866a friction coefficient for the Toyota OEM shoes
>is FF, but it strongly implies that they are (if Amazon is correct that
>these are OEM replacements).

And they couldwell be "stock photos" too - not necessarily what
youare buying. You are putting a lot of "trust" in Amazon.