Old January 10th 18, 04:04 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Clare Snyder

Default Drum brakes - do you disconnect the parking brake cable?

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 02:31:18 -0000 (UTC), Mad Roger
> wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Jan 2018 17:20:53 -0600,
> AMuzi wrote:
>
>> You might want a second opinion on those parts prices:
>> http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota

>Wow. What a difference in prices from the Toyota dealer!
>It's not half, it's not a third, or a fifth - it's one tenth the price!
>
>The only thing I need now is to know the OEM shoe friction ratings.

You do NOT need to know the ratings. Buy their OEM quality shoes and
the manufacturer has done the homework for you. it will meet or excede
OEM spec - which is all you need or want.
>I'd be perfectly happy with just-as-good friction pads as OEM at those
>RockAuto prices of basically $12 per "something".
>
>I guess I need to call RockAuto in the morning at 1-608-661-1376 (Wisconsin
>time zone) to figure out two critical things:
>
>1. How many shoes come for $12 (one?, two? four?)

They are virtually ALWAYS sourced as a set of 4 - I've never seen
shoes sold individually.
>2. What's the cold/hot friction rating?

You REALLY don't need that - it's not a race car.

>It's shocking that Toyota didn't know the friction rating, and RockAuto
>doesn't know the friction rating based on their web page (admittedly good
>prices).

That's because it is generally not required for them (or you) to know
the rating.

>The friction rating is the *most* important thing about a brake shoe -
>nothing else even matters if they are a worse friction rating than what you
>want.

If they are OEM quality they WILL beright.

>And yet, the RockAuto page lists shoe after shoe after shoe after shoe
>after shoe (Centric, Bosch, Wagner, ACDelco, RayBestos, PowerStop, Monroe,
>BeckArnley, Bendix, etc.) and not one of them specifies the most important
>thing about a brake shoe!

They never do. Every one of those manufacturers produce oem quality
shoes, as wellas "economy" parts. You want OEM from Wagner, Centric,
Raybestos, or Bendix - not familiar with BeckArnley - but have heard
good things about their clutches - don't know PowerStop or Monroe -
and AC Delco was good when they were a part of GM - but I think it's
just a "brand" now - so no idea. No faith in anything Bosch myself -
but they MAY make a perfectly adequate product.

>WTF? It's impossible to buy brake pads or shoes without knowing the
>friction rating. Who on earth can possibly compare two brake shoes without
>that critical information?
>
>It's not like a brake shoe has any other major job but friction.
>
>The higher the number the stronger the friction (SAE J866a):
>E = 0.25-0.35
>F = 0.35-0.45
>G = 0.45-0.55
>H = 0.55-0.65
>http://faculty.ccbcmd.edu/~smacadof/DOTPadCodes.htm
>
>Given RockAuto and Toyota don't seem to tell people the pad's friction
>rating, I have to wonder ... do people really buy friction materials
>knowing nothing about their cold & hot friction coefficients?

Every day of the year - I've NEVER , other than on these newsgroups
where "armchair experts" abound, heard of checking the friction rating
of replacement friction material for standard street vehicles - and
never did for navigational rallye vehicles either. That's a "track"
thing. Don't worry about it - just buy the "oem quality" or better
shoes.