Old January 10th 18, 03:48 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Clare Snyder

Default Drum brakes - do you disconnect the parking brake cable?

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 21:01:05 -0000 (UTC), Mad Roger
> wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 15:51:35 -0500,
> Tekkie+AK4- wrote:
>
>> I didn't look at any of the pix. It should be ok if not scored or bell
>> mouthed or other problems.

>The drums are perfectly fine in that they have 2mm to spare even after 175K
>miles on the original drums.

I have 358000km on the original rear brakes on my Ranger - and the
shoes had over half lining left when I last checked them about 15000km
ago. I've had the new shoes for 5 years, and the original owner had
them for 4 years before he sold me the truck - - -
>As you're probably aware, scoring has to be huge to fail a rotor or drum
>(really huge when you look at the specs, it's amazing how huge).

Actually it does not take a LOT of scoring to fail a drum - requiring
it to be turned. Then there are two different "fail" measurements -
there is a max wear and a max turn. If it is worn past a certain limit
it must be replaced, and there is a limit you can turn it to - usually
2 different measurements.

>The shoes are $157 for a set, and the cylinders are $102 each at Toyota.

I believe thre are quality aftermarket sources at a fair bit less.