Old January 9th 18, 08:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Mad Roger

Default Drum brakes - do you disconnect the parking brake cable?

On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 21:13:11 -0500,
Steve W. wrote:

> Wheel cylinder is bad as well. The rear shoe show virtually no wear,
> that indicates the wheel cylinder isn't doing it's job.

I'd agree with you given that the rear shoe, after 175K miles, still looks
perfect, while the front is worn - but all the Toyota threads seem to say
that is the way Toyota rear shoes wear.

They give this as the explanation:
https://s13.postimg.org/l3s1zwn93/diagram_1.jpg

> No, there is a leading shoe and a trailing shoe.

Thanks. That explains why I've never heard of "rotating" brake shoes!

>> But mainly I'm not sure what the procedure is for the parking brake cable.
>> Can you advise?

> On most you just make sure it is fully released. Then you install the
> new parts and adjust the base brakes so the drum just turns free. Then
> you adjust the E-Brake so it applies after the number of clicks or
> distance specified in the book.

Thanks. I found a good hour-long video specifically for the Toyota.
https://youtu.be/IJkVEBYSecs