Old January 9th 18, 02:56 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Clare Snyder

Default Drum brakes - do you disconnect the parking brake cable?

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 01:18:54 -0000 (UTC), Mad Roger
> wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 17:16:46 -0500,
> Clare Snyder wrote:
>
>> In all my years as a mechanic I always unhooked the e-brake linkage
>> from the cable on that style, and removed the whole assembly from the
>> backinplate as shown in your last picture - then reassebled with
>> whatever new parts were required.

>When I googled, that's one of the methods I found people use, although most
>seem to replace them, one shoe at a time (because they remarked they'd try
>the full-removal method next time).
>
>This guy did the full removal, but he completely skipped the removal steps:
><https://youtu.be/TywVkpCDcCA?t=288>
>
>> Check the cyls closely to make sure
>> nothing is sticking. Back off the handbrake cabke adjuster so it doies
>> not screw up the service brake adjustment, and after everything is
>> re-assembled and adjusted at the wheel end, look after the handbrake
>> adjustment/adjuster. Make REAL sure the cables are not hanging up
>> ANYWHERE or you will end up replacing shoes again.

>Thanks for that advice.
>
>> After 20 years it
>> would not surprise me at all if you need cyls and cables but it IS a
>> Toyota and they are pretty high quality, dependable vehicles. (I was a
>> Toyota service manager for 10 years)

>I wasn't thinking cylinders, but I'm fine with rebuilding them. I've
>rebuilt master cylinders in the past where it's easy to rebuild a cylinder
>with the right parts.

Don't know about the USA but almost impossible to source the rubber
parts kits here in Canada - and cyls are stupidly cheap compared to
what they used to be. (labor to rebuild costs as much as a cyl if you
are paying to have it done)