Old July 6th 17, 03:24 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
micky

Default Wal-Mart battery Scam

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 14:54:43 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 10:49:03 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:

>> >This is Wal-Mart, it's not a high end battery wholesaler. They don't care
>> >about customer service. They sell special batteries that are designed to be
>> >as cheap as possible and look like standard commercial batteries but aren't.

>> Another interesting thing.
>>
>> I noticed a while back that a roll of Gorilla Tape was 50 cents cheaper
>> at Home Depot than at Walmart.

>Wow, imagine that.
>

>> But today i was looking for Mopar Automatic Transmission Fluid+4.** I
>> found few listings for it, but one was in West Chester Pa., not far from
>> me, for 7 dollars a quart. Walmart had a 3rd party vendor whose location
>> I could not determine for $12.17 a quart. !!
>>
>> So my point is that like other stores that emphasize price, once they
>> convince people that they are cheaper than other places, they don't have
>> to be cheaper anymore, and sometimes are much more expensive.
>>

>I don't think Walmart or any other store ever said they will have the lowest prices on everything.

Of course they don't say it, but they do things to give that impression.

> And you're confusing Walmart price's for products in their store or from them online, with third party sellers that they list there too.

I'm not confusing anything. I'm reporting; you're confusing.

>> MoparŪ Part # at
>> Quadratic: 68218057AA at 7.00
>> Walmart: .68218057AB, at 12.17 so the B must cost $5.17!!
>> Amazon: 5013457AA at 11.64
>> OEM Part Number 05013457AA
>> Item model number 68218057AA
>> Manufacturer Part # 68218057AA so it's the same thing too.
>>
>> I wonder what a Chrysler dealer would charge.
>>
>> Neither Mopar ad at Quatdratic or Walmart says it's synthetic, like
>> Pennzoil and Castrol say on the bottle, though Amazon lets you enlarge
>> the picture of the bottle and see that it does say synthetic.
>>

>> **Separate question: Is this any better for a Chrysler than Pennzoil or
>> Castrol, the only two brands other than house brands that I can walk in
>> and buy at the 3 stores just down the street from me?
>>
>> Somehow I have the feeling that Castrol isn't really a top-notch brand,
>> but I can't remember why I think that.

>I'm sure you can have endless debate on the virtues of one brand versus another. There are specs for the various fluid that all the providers must meet. As long as it meets the spec and it's from a recognized brand, that works for me. And the closer the car is to a clunker with an oil leak, the more acceptable a cheap house brand that meets the spec becomes.

I appreciate your effort but there is meeting the spec and there is
exceeding the spec or excelling in some way not covered by the spec.
And the car is nowwhere near clunker or I wouldn't thave asked.