Old August 19th 13, 12:32 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
PeterD

Default help , 1997 gmc jimmy . towing requirements for utility trailer2000 lb payload

On 8/10/2013 11:45 AM, wrote:
> I bought a used 1997 gmc jimmy with factory tow package to haul stock for my business.
> I am looking at a 5 x 10 utility trailer to carry about 2000 lb cargo.
>
> I will be doing two trips of 600 miles and return initially. There are no extreme hills and I plan
> on the return trip taking 3 or 4 says.
>
> The hitch says 2000lb or 6000 with weight adjusting hitch. The owners manual says electric brakes for
> over 1000 lb trailer.
>
> Several trailer dealers have told me I do NOT need trailer brakes and my hitch is fine for a trailer of 2990 GVW.

Ask them to put it in writing, signed by someone with authority to sign
for the company. They will quickly change their mind and decide that
perhaps they can't do that. Again, what they're quoting is the trailer
weight law, not your hitch or your vehicle, both of which may (do) have
lower weight restrictions. The maximum towing weight for the 97, based
on my limited knowledge is a bit over 5K lb.

> I dont mind spending the money on upgrades since it will be a cost of the business.
>

> Do I need trailer brakes ?

By law, anything towed over 3000 lb GVW requires brakes. The vehicle
manufacturer may also have a specification based on the vehicle's brakes
and that specification may be lower (but not higher) than that value?

> do I need to get a new hitch rated to say 4 - 5000 lbs ?

Technically, yes.

> any comments welcome - this is much harder than I thought

Recognize that if you exceed published specifications (such as that 2K
for the hitch) and there is an accident, you will probably be considered
at fault and liable.

You are right on the border line of the 3K no-brakes limit, IMHO with a
97 you are pushing things towing this much weight (you don't say how
good the condition of the vehicle is.)

I'd recommend if you don't have trailer brakes, that you make 100% sure
the brakes on the vehicle are in excellent condition--probably by
replacing both rotors and pads, before these trips.

--
I'm never going to grow up.