Old September 24th 17, 03:50 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
micky

Default Grom Audio, adding USB and Bluetooth to your car radio

In rec.autos.tech, on Sat, 23 Sep 2017 12:30:27 -0500, Paul in Houston
TX > wrote:

>micky wrote:
>> I'm thinking of installing a Gromaudio device that, if your car radio
>> has a CD changer input jack, allows for USB input, AUX input from a
>> cellphone, and for another $50 Bluetooth use of the cellphone through
>> the car speakers and an add-on microphone (in addition to the first
>> $150).
>>
>> The most important feature for me is the USB input.

>Forget the input jack and use FM wireless. Search Ebay.

Do you mean something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Mus...AOSwImRYjlr j

Or this one is ridiculously cheap
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3818484...=ps&dispItem=1 ? this
uses a 3.5mm input from a cell phone, but I don't think I'll be using a
cell phone. I can't afford unlimited data. Most likely I'll be dl'ing
podcasts and putting them on a flashdrive. Although I have to say it
might be worth buying this anyhow. It's only $2.85 with free shipping!
OT3H I found a half dozen seller who'd sold over 1000 and only 1 review
came back! He said it broke after a month. ;-)

How can cellphone makers consider getting rid of the 3.5mm jack with so
many things that use it?

>IMO, bluetooth phone in a vehicle does not work very well.
>The outgoing sounds are muffled, distorted, and hard to understand.
>However, if you want to send music from your ipod to the vehicle
>audio it works well enough.

Actually, the radio itself has plenty of music and I just want to send
talk, downloaded podcasts. That requires even less quality, iiuc.