Old July 15th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,uk.rec.driving
Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein)

Default Rearview Mirror query

Pete wrote:

>"Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein)"
> wrote in message
.. .
>> Pete wrote:
>>>Probably a daft question I know but.....
>>>
>>>Is there a knack to getting the mirror back on? My son has managed to
>>>pull
>>>it off. When I'm pushing it back on, it's taking more force than I dare
>>>use
>>>in fear of cracking the windscreen!! Is there a trick to be had, or
>>>should
>>>I just go for it?!!

>> Surrender your license immediately; this might prove critical for your
>> son's survival.
>>
>> Unless you've got some form of atypical rear view mirror system,
>> fixing this problem should be one of the most trivial operations
>> you'll perform on your vehicle.

>Forgot to mention, it's not the whole thing that's come off - just the
>mirror itself where it clips onto the ball of the part that's stuck to the
>windscreen.
>
>The part that's stuck to the windscreen is stuck solid, so I was dubious
>whether I'd make things worse by forcing it off. That was why I was trying
>to 'tease' the mirror back onto the ball joint, but like I said, it's just
>not having it.

Ah, yeah, that's going to require so much force.

Most of the time, the bracket slides off the mounting base glued to
the windshield; you might need a phillips head to loosen a screw.
Remove the mounting pillar from the base and apply force against the
ground, using a block of wood to reduce damage. Then reattach to the
base.

--

We're all here
because we're not all there.