Old August 21st 05, 08:47 PM
Ryan Underwood

writes:

>2. At least one shop has recommended that we change the water pump in
>addition to the timing belt. Is this a good idea?

Especially if your water pump is behind the timing cover, yes. In general
water pumps tend to last about as long as timing belts and a water pump failure
is a big problem, leading to the recommendation that they be done at the same
time. In the case of an internal water pump, it saves labor to have them both
done at the same time. Also good ideas for 100k maintenance: rad/heater hoses,
thermostat, timing tensioner(s), balancer belt (if applicable), front oil seals

>3. How much time (miles) do I have before I *really* need to get that
>belt replaced, or am I already there?

A timing belt is a routine maintenance item. If you are past schedule, it is
time to have it done. It is a hidden cost of having lighter and quieter
motors. Don't fall into the trap of thinking non-interference means you are
safe; the belt itself can still make quite a mess when it self-destructs.