Old July 7th 08, 01:56 PM posted to alt.autos.antique,rec.autos.antique
Dave Young

Default 1950 Buick Special starts, idles, but dies when given gas...

My bet is that the accelerator pump in the carb is not functioning
properly, even though the carb was rebuilt

I've cut and pasted (and paraphrased) the below found on the Internet to
explain its operation:

Dave

"A carburetors require a vacuum (created by the engine) to pull fuel
through the jetting. The accelerator pump is a mechanical rubber-tipped
piston that richens up the mixture to get things cooking until the
whirling pistons creates a vacuum strong enough to keep the fuel flowing
on its own. Sound complicated? It shouldn’t. The basic idea works
something like this:

An additional jet (called a leak jet) provides a very small amount of
fuel to the pump. When you tap the throttle, this rod-driven plunger
pushes a small supply of fuel into the intake track of the engine.
Kicking (or pushing the little button) ignites this fuel, which, of
course, begins the piston motion that creates the vacuum that replaces
the need for the pump. The core idea of the accelerator pump is to
provide a more stable starting procedure."