Old February 3rd 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Default Beetle vs Super Beetle

Papa wrote:

> I'm talking about pre-1998 Beetles. What years were the Super Beetles
> produced for US customers? What years were the regular Beetles produced for
> US customers?
>
> I have read many comments from supposed experts that say the regular Beetle
> was better than the Super Beetle. If so, why is that?
>
> Thanks.

Oh Oh. The gauntlet has been thrown down! LOL

US Supers were from '71 thru '79. ('71/72 were flat screen,
later were curved screen.)

Std Beetles never had a curved screen like the Supers.
Std's were built thru '77.

Purists consider the Super an interloper, even a perversion
of the original intent.
But Super owners like the handling characteristics better.

This site has a great deal of info on the Supers:
http://members.tripod.com/~superkafe.../technical.htm
Keep in mind this site is aimed at non-US markets so the models
differ a bit.

This site has a lot of the "old" history, if interested:
http://www.pre67vw.co.uk/history/

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!"
Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.