Old June 23rd 20, 12:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

Default Torque Wrench Safety Question

On 23/6/20 8:32 pm, wrote:
> Paul wrote:
> When you'd been fiddling like that, you're supposed to
> drive 50 miles, then recheck them. Apply torque wrench
> and see if any have come loose.
>
> If they're fine after the 50 miles, and nothing seems
> to have moved, enjoy until the next wheel rotation
> comes along.
>
> I have the whole outfit, floor jack, two jack stands,
> torque wrench, and go though this "fun" twice a year,
> as I wouldn't drive without snow tires here. I tried
> driving all season radials once, and in a light storm,
> my car was snaking all over the road, and I couldn't
> keep up to the posted limit. That's when I decided that
> it was time to get some real-winters on there. The
> best winter tires (in terms of mileage rather than
> grip), were some Michelin tires. On my last car,
> I bought some Toyo, and they were only 3 out of 5
> in terms of "being a winter tire".
>
> One other thing, if I was torquing to 85, when I'm finished
> with the wrench, I turn it down to 25 to 35 or so. That's
> so the torque wrench doesn't develop any bad habits in
> the off season.
>
> And I store the floor jack where it's dry. And so far, it's
> not mis-behaved like some of the stories I hear about them.
> Take care of your equipment and it'll take care of you.
>
> Paul
> ___________
>
> As for your 50-mile recheck suggestion, I read up on rechecking and most sources said
> NO - All "rechecking" does is overtighten your fasteners and put stress on your torque
> wrench. Any truth to that?

No truth at all. The recheck is only to ensure no nuts are coming loose.
You do not, on a recheck, go beyond the required torque setting so, in
theory, you should get no movement on the nut whatsoever if it hasn't
loosened.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)