Old June 23rd 20, 11:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Torque Wrench Safety Question

Paul wrote:
When you'd been fiddling like that, you're supposed to
drive 50 miles, then recheck them. Apply torque wrench
and see if any have come loose.

If they're fine after the 50 miles, and nothing seems
to have moved, enjoy until the next wheel rotation
comes along.

I have the whole outfit, floor jack, two jack stands,
torque wrench, and go though this "fun" twice a year,
as I wouldn't drive without snow tires here. I tried
driving all season radials once, and in a light storm,
my car was snaking all over the road, and I couldn't
keep up to the posted limit. That's when I decided that
it was time to get some real-winters on there. The
best winter tires (in terms of mileage rather than
grip), were some Michelin tires. On my last car,
I bought some Toyo, and they were only 3 out of 5
in terms of "being a winter tire".

One other thing, if I was torquing to 85, when I'm finished
with the wrench, I turn it down to 25 to 35 or so. That's
so the torque wrench doesn't develop any bad habits in
the off season.

And I store the floor jack where it's dry. And so far, it's
not mis-behaved like some of the stories I hear about them.
Take care of your equipment and it'll take care of you.

Paul

As for your 50-mile recheck suggestion, I read up on rechecking and most sources said
NO - All "rechecking" does is overtighten your fasteners and put stress on your torque
wrench. Any truth to that?

Finally, your suggestion to relax the setting agrees with the instructions included with mine
and other models. I left mine at my Honda's setting - 80ftlbs - for two days before taking
the printed instructions out of its retail packaging! It now idles at between 20-30.