Old August 16th 10, 11:07 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
tony sayer

Default Audi A6 ignition woes;(..

>>Can't remember when they were done on my other A6 Avant of 1995 vintage
>>thats now done 195,000 miles with no problems to speak of at all, apart
>>from a sometimes misfire which goes as rapidly as it comes. Its got one
>>of they olde fashioned coils with a high voltage switchgear distribution
>>system..

>FWIW I'd be more concerned about the brake issue. The vendor should
>have spotted this before selling you the car and this could be
>potentially dangerous. OTOH Coil packs *can* fail without warning.
>
>However finding a decent second hand car can be very difficult and I
>would be inclined to keep it as you have had it inspected. I would
>always advise getting a car inspected /before/ buying but if the
>original garage have offered to pay for the repairs then you are in a
>good position.

Well they have put that in writing and the brakes have been re disc'ed
and padded all round and there're now fine, and the fault has
disappeared.

Coil pack changed and car serviced and all in all seems a very good car
for the money...

As to inspection I was a bit annoyed for not noticing the condition of
the discs as there're quite easy to see and run a fingernail over.

Still I suppose thats the problem when the missus and nippers are all
milling around urging you to buy it got a bit distracted;!...

>IME weak spots on the A6 a
>- Track rod ends
>- Water pump
>- Electric windows

I'll bear those in mind..

>(The brake discs on mine have worn quicker than I expected so will
>need replacing soon.)

There was a review on one of the car sites where they took a 2.? Engined
car for a good strip down and IIRC the discs were changed once already
at 20,000 and needed doing again at 60,000 plus pads of course they were
quite complementary on the rest of the car..
--
Tony Sayer