Old August 16th 10, 10:57 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Mark[_35_]

Default Audi A6 ignition woes;(..

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 11:40:46 +0100, tony sayer >
wrote:

>In article >, Mark Opolo
> scribeth thus
>>
>>"tony sayer" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Hi..
>>>
>>> Just bought an S/H Audi A6 from a large London dealer and all seemed
>>> fine on a short local test drive. On the way home on the motorway a
>>> brake problem reared its ugly head which seems all due to shot pads and
>>> discs. Seems to brake as well as any but very strange noise sounds like
>>> ABS left on when braking over a slippery road or gravel which it isn't..
>>>
>>> Also car developed very bad misfire, not much pleased. Took car to local
>>> dealer who reckoned that a a total brake re line with new discs was in
>>> order and that a coil pack had failed causing the misfire. Original
>>> supplier company have offered to drag the car back to their workshop for
>>> repair but I have lost confidence in them so they have offered to pay
>>> the costs of a repair at the local Audi dealer which I much prefer.
>>>
>>> Any else have adverse brake experiences o been affected by what seems a
>>> serious problem with these coil packs?..
>>>
>>> cheers...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tony Sayer
>>>

>>ME...........I would let the original garage recover it and then get your
>>money back. You just don't know what else is going to crop up.
>>

>Yes point taken. We did and can do that under the sale of goods act but
>as most cars it seems, come from an ex lease source around the 3 year
>mark I suspect that most others up for sale are from that source too. It
>seems that very few have been used by the little 'ole lady to go to
>church on Sundays.
>
>Also the price was very competitive and the only cars of that type
>around here are priced a lot more at a main Audi dealer and there are
>very few of them elsewhere.
>
>The garage that did the local inspection said that apart from the issues
>they raised its in good condition, and they couldn't fault it other than
>a service is almost due which I'm OK paying for..
>
>And if we do take it back and get our money back we're wasting more time
>looking for another one which could have "x" number of latent faults
>thereon.
>
>What I was concerned about is this coil pack issue which it seems to me
>has been going on for a very long time now with VAG cars, and further
>reading of a 60,000 mile review of one said that pads and discs were
>changed at 20,000 miles, and more pads at 38,000 miles and seems that
>further ones are almost due which does seem rather excessive to me.
>
>Can't remember when they were done on my other A6 Avant of 1995 vintage
>thats now done 195,000 miles with no problems to speak of at all, apart
>from a sometimes misfire which goes as rapidly as it comes. Its got one
>of they olde fashioned coils with a high voltage switchgear distribution
>system..

FWIW I'd be more concerned about the brake issue. The vendor should
have spotted this before selling you the car and this could be
potentially dangerous. OTOH Coil packs *can* fail without warning.

However finding a decent second hand car can be very difficult and I
would be inclined to keep it as you have had it inspected. I would
always advise getting a car inspected /before/ buying but if the
original garage have offered to pay for the repairs then you are in a
good position.

IME weak spots on the A6 a
- Track rod ends
- Water pump
- Electric windows

(The brake discs on mine have worn quicker than I expected so will
need replacing soon.)
--
(\__/) M.