Old August 11th 10, 11:40 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
tony sayer

Default Audi A6 ignition woes;(..

In article >, Mark Opolo
> scribeth thus
>
>"tony sayer" > wrote in message
>>
>> Hi..
>>
>> Just bought an S/H Audi A6 from a large London dealer and all seemed
>> fine on a short local test drive. On the way home on the motorway a
>> brake problem reared its ugly head which seems all due to shot pads and
>> discs. Seems to brake as well as any but very strange noise sounds like
>> ABS left on when braking over a slippery road or gravel which it isn't..
>>
>> Also car developed very bad misfire, not much pleased. Took car to local
>> dealer who reckoned that a a total brake re line with new discs was in
>> order and that a coil pack had failed causing the misfire. Original
>> supplier company have offered to drag the car back to their workshop for
>> repair but I have lost confidence in them so they have offered to pay
>> the costs of a repair at the local Audi dealer which I much prefer.
>>
>> Any else have adverse brake experiences o been affected by what seems a
>> serious problem with these coil packs?..
>>
>> cheers...
>>
>> --
>> Tony Sayer
>>

>ME...........I would let the original garage recover it and then get your
>money back. You just don't know what else is going to crop up.

Yes point taken. We did and can do that under the sale of goods act but
as most cars it seems, come from an ex lease source around the 3 year
mark I suspect that most others up for sale are from that source too. It
seems that very few have been used by the little 'ole lady to go to
church on Sundays.

Also the price was very competitive and the only cars of that type
around here are priced a lot more at a main Audi dealer and there are
very few of them elsewhere.

The garage that did the local inspection said that apart from the issues
they raised its in good condition, and they couldn't fault it other than
a service is almost due which I'm OK paying for..

And if we do take it back and get our money back we're wasting more time
looking for another one which could have "x" number of latent faults
thereon.

What I was concerned about is this coil pack issue which it seems to me
has been going on for a very long time now with VAG cars, and further
reading of a 60,000 mile review of one said that pads and discs were
changed at 20,000 miles, and more pads at 38,000 miles and seems that
further ones are almost due which does seem rather excessive to me.

Can't remember when they were done on my other A6 Avant of 1995 vintage
thats now done 195,000 miles with no problems to speak of at all, apart
from a sometimes misfire which goes as rapidly as it comes. Its got one
of they olde fashioned coils with a high voltage switchgear distribution
system..

Cheers...

--
Tony Sayer