Old August 7th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Robert[_12_]

Default Towing capacity

On Aug 7, 3:44*pm, "george taylor" >
wrote:
> Does any one know what the towing capacity was/is for a split bus? I might
> be putting in a 1600 into it if that makes a difference.

I have routinely towed a Harbor Freight folding trailer when I moved.
Each trip was 165 miles. I have never weighed the trailer loaded but
I am guessing it was close to the maximum weight of 1000#. I built my
own towing reciever using the bumper mount brackets as a guide. I
made it a point to never load the tongue with more than 70#. I have a
'67 bus with a 1776cc and two barrel carb. I towed at a maximum of
65mph and pulled it over the summit on I-80 between Larramie and
Cheyenne with no problem but had to slow to 45 mph.