Old August 12th 16, 12:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill Vanek[_2_]

Default 2013 Hyundai Sonata - Caster at low end of Spec Rangel

On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 14:54:31 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>Bill Vanek wrote: "it always drift to the left? And how far does the car travel
>before it leaves the lane? "
>

>Drift: 70% left / 30% right. Also, it is slightly easier to
>steer left than to steer right.
>
>Conditions: Drift is dependent on crown/overall angle
>of roadway.

Well that's the end of it right there. There is nothing at all you can
do about that, and as I said in another post, increasing caster will
make that worse. Another influence is the width of the tires. The
wider they are, the more the car will react to the road. If you are
comparing this car to another one, it's pointless unless the cars are
identical.

>Could be one eighth to one quarter mile before drifting
>across dotted line on a highway, at 60-65mph.

That's not unusual.

>If highway or local street is reasonably and consistently
>crowned, Sonata will go straight or slightly to the right.

>As soon as the road flattens out, it will slowly drift
>left, toward the dotted white or double yellow.

But how do you know that it's "flat"? Crowned is one thing, but the
road surface is not necessarily level, and that's impossible to
determine visually.

>I would really rather do the 'kit thang' as far as reducing
>front cross-camber is concerned, rather than the surgery
>you suggested. SOMEBODY out in Hyundai World must
>know what that front camber bolt kit consisted of, and
>could explain it to me and see if it still exists somewhere
>on planet Earth. :s

You can't use a kit without elongating the holes. There might be ball
joints that will allow a camber/caster adjustment, though.

To be honest, I don't think there's anything wrong with the car. But
if on the exact same stretch of road, in the same lane, it sometimes
goes left, and sometimes right, that's something else entirely, but I
don't think that's the case after reading this post.