Old August 11th 16, 07:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill Vanek[_2_]

Default 2013 Hyundai Sonata - Caster at low end of Spec Rangel

On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 03:55:08 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>Bill Vanek, dsi1:
>

>Thank you for all of your well-thought out
> insights!
>
>Bill: The wander is gradual, over time, and
>having both hands on the wheel at all times
>seems to minimize it, but it is a tiring way to
>have to drive.
>
>The elephant in the room seems to be that
>front cross camber, which my alignment
>sheet seems to indicate equals negative 0.5.
>I always thought the difference betwen -0.8
>and -02. is 0.6. That is enough for concern,
>and it seems correcting that alone would solve
>my problem.
>
>The excessive rear toe could be corrected
>at some point in the future.
>
>I actually prefer a *gradual* pull(or point) to
>the right, for obvious safety reasons, and
>that is what would happen once that front
>neg camber is closer to equal. As it is now,
>changes in local road crown and overall
>road angle are producing gradual wander
>either way, at local speeds and highway
>speed. I read somewhere about 'camber
>thrust' - and I believe that is what my front
>cross camber is contributing to.
>
>I just need to find someone who is willing
>to do *whatever* it takes to fix it - replace
>parts, slot something, whatever!
>
>I have not made my first payment on this
>car yet, and will return it if this issue
>cannot be solved.

If it always drifts off in the same direction, in your case to the
left, try fixing the camber. I saw this online:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...it/MOK928.html

If it's drifting to the right, try swapping the front tires side to
side.

If it drifts only some of the time, remember that the road itself can
cause this, and BTW, increasing the caster would make that problem
worse.

And there is no point at all in not correcting the rear toe. It's a
trivial adjustment.